Sunday, February 7, 2010

People say that lovebirds arent good if you buy them at petsmart true or false?

I won't to get a lovebird and I am getting the supplies at petsmart so i want to get my bird there to.People say that lovebirds arent good if you buy them at petsmart true or false?
my mother in law got 2 lovies from petsmart 2 years ago and still cant pet them without bleeding. i got mine (8) from breeders, and im yet to get bit, mind you they are in pairs. you cant have love birds if you are afraid to get bit anyway, they know you are scared and use it agaisnt you. my lovebirds are not all handfed, but they know not to bite. we never allowed it so they dont know any betterPeople say that lovebirds arent good if you buy them at petsmart true or false?
Love birds are not particularly easy to tame, and the birds there may not be very well socialized; I think they are healthy though. If you want to handle your lovebird, try to get one that is already fairly tame, maybe a hand-fed bird. I think if you talk to the staff, you can find out whether they have any tame ones.


If you don't care about handling your bird, then that won't matter.


They still like to vocalize and hear you talk to them, and they like to watch you and be in the room with you, even if you don't handle them. They are very pretty and cute, full of personality, but kind of aggressive.
I don't advocate Pet Shop Birds because they are usually a product of a Pet mill,and we shouldn't support them.They pick up birds from their homeland in a net,and ship them to so -called Breeders in a box just like that.So then they are not hand-tamed,or worked with enough,and put in the shop,and become cage bound,and mean.I prefer to get my Birdies from a source I trust like a personal Breeder that you can see how many Birdies they have,and in what conditions they live in.
I wouldn't do it either. Peta has been very vocal in trying to ban these pet stores. They do not spend time with the birds and they hardly have any human contact so when you get them they may already be ';ruined'; by what the stores have (or have not) done. It's really sad. Also, a friend of mine worked at a Petsmart and had tons of horror stories on the way they treat birds. It was horrible and disgusting! I won't go into it. So, I say for that alone I would NOT buy from a chain. Also, rescue is a great option. try Petfinder.com or a parrot rescue in your town.
Buy a proven mating pair so u can have babys
Hello,


For one I have owned birds for as long back as I remember, by grandmother was also fond of birds and owned them and taught me a thing or two (she passed on back in the 80's).


I have noticed buying birds in such a cold environment makes for a unhappy bird. Some of these big pet chains are changing there practices as for caring more for there critters, so I hear.





A private breeder is going to offer you a better bird all the way around. History of the bird as well as a bird who has been loved. Unlike the birds found in these big pet chain stores.





I will even buy a bird out of the newspaper before I will look in those big pet chain stores. This is of course up to you. If the employee of the pet store wont hold the bird, or is afraid of the bird walk away!! Many pet stores hire people who have no clue, they learn as they work there....





Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment